Monday, May 19, 2014

Agony at the Steam Whistle Brewery

Through the window from inside the Steam Whistle Brewery
The wedding reception was at the Steam Whistle Brewery, a few blocks from our hotel. A short walk, unless one is stupid enough to wear extremely uncomfortable shoes (not elegant, or even good looking, in my case). The shoes came from Payless a decade ago, and I've kept them around for use when the comfy black loafers just won't work. Shoes are now in Marilyn's pile of junk for the dump, but that is another story.

I had already hoofed plenty that afternoon, walking to St. Michael's and most of the way back, but at least I was wearing my comfortable tennis shoes for that junket. My calves and shins were so sore that I contemplated abandoning the shoes and walking down Simcoe in my bare feet. Marilyn was wearing very lovely heeled sandals but she looked fit and comfortable in her wedding finery as we trudged down the small but challenging hill.

By the time we walked in the door, I desperately needed a stiff drink, but under the circumstances was afraid to imbibe. I settled on the glass of red wine offered by a snappy looking waiter. I had to sit down on the bench at the entrance, while Marilyn socialized with friends. I had gone way beyond being worried that I'd be thought unsociable and cold. I was in too much pain. The wine didn't help.

I enjoyed the two appetizers (chicken in a miniature ice cream cone, breaded shrimp) brought to me but I simply couldn't get up to try the others. Meanwhile, I was getting mighty thirsty but the authorities were herding the crowd into the wedding reception. By the time I got to the bar, service had stopped so I grabbed a second glass of wine from a waiter's tray and limped into the dining room.

During the delicious dinner, I worried about how I would look when I finally got up from the table. Later, before the dancing began, I got up my courage and stumbled toward the ladies' room. I looked around, only a little concerned that I would be judged to be drunk -- which might have numbed the pain -- or infirm, which I definitely was.

The climb up the hill was actually quite a bit easier than the trek down. We made it to our room shortly before 11:00 p.m. By that time, I ached all over and slept fitfully, grateful that the day had ended without some awful fall or shameful incident.

The wedding reception was, in fact, very enjoyable, and I got the warm feeling that Carol and Jeff were compatibly blending two lovely families. Read about Carol & Jeff's wedding here.  FB Photos.